Jeep has announced the introduction of new e-Hybrid (MHEV) versions of Renegade and Compass. Offering an enhancement to the electrified ranges of both models, orders are open now with first vehicles expected in the UK this month (Mar 22). The e-Hybrid versions follow in the tracks of the successful plug-in-hybrid 4xe range.
The new models debut an advanced hybrid system featuring a new 4-cylinder 1.5-litre turbo petrol engine, from the Global Small Engine family, which delivers 130hp and 240Nm of peak torque, coupled with a new 7-speed dual-clutch automatic transmission.
The propulsion system includes a built-in 48 volt 15kW (20hp) electric motor delivering 55Nm of torque, equivalent to 135Nm at gearbox input level, which can propel the wheels even when the internal combustion engine is turned off. The new versions offer up to 15 per cent lower consumption and CO2 emissions than the previous petrol models.
Courtesy of the new hybrid technology, the Jeep Renegade and Compass e-Hybrid models offer a new alternative in the two wheel drive segment. Customers can keep their driving habits intact and enjoy an authentic hybrid driving experience, with full-electric propulsion available at start-up, when travelling at low speeds, cruising and in parking manoeuvres.
The braking system of the new Renegade and Compass e-Hybrid includes the Intelligent Brake System which includes an ‘auto-charge’ feature using mixed regenerative braking to maximise the recovery of kinetic energy and improves efficiency.
The hybrid models deliver a versatile and relaxing driving experience, with various features allowing the vehicle to move in electric mode. These include:
- Silent Start: starts the vehicle with no need to turn on the petrol engine, by using a pure-electric, silent driving mode;
- Energy Recovery: recovers energy that would otherwise be wasted when the vehicle decelerates (e-Coasting) and during braking (Regenerative Braking);
- Boost & Load Point Shift: ‘e-Boosting’ allows an increase in torque to the wheels thanks to the electric motor that supports the petrol engine; moreover, by taking advantage of the (drive or braking) torque delivered by the electric motor, it is possible to optimise the operating point of the petrol engine;
- Electric Drive: the vehicle can travel in silence and with zero emissions using only the electric motor, while the petrol engine is turned off.
The new Jeep Renegade and Compass e-Hybrid can run in various driving scenarios using only the electric motor (and with the petrol engine turned off). This is made possible courtesy of an array of electric operating modes, which include:
- e-Launch: starts the vehicle using only the electric motor, when starting up or restarting at traffic lights;
- e-Creeping: the electric motor provides the start-up normally seen in automatic vehicles, at a speed that can vary from 0mph to the equivalent of the petrol engine idling in first gear, or in reverse (for example when manoeuvring);
- e-Queueing: the vehicle can keep going in a traffic jam, following a ‘stop & go’ pattern in full-electric mode;
- e-Parking: simplifies parking manoeuvres, which can be carried out using electric propulsion only, to ensure a practical and quiet experience.
These capabilities are available depending on battery charge status and the power output required.
The Upland special edition model features unique aesthetic details and the use of sustainable materials and eco-friendly paints and finishes. The Upland edition will also be available on Renegade and Compass 4xe Plug-in-Hybrid models.
The Upland is immediately recognisable for its new and exclusive Matter Azur exterior colour and features a two-tone black roof (also sporting a new, more visible and extensive design specific to the Renegade), gloss back 17-inch (on Renegade) and 18-inch (on Compass) alloy wheels, for an even more distinctive look. Completing the unique style of the exterior are the new MetaKrome bronze finishes on the front grille rings and on the rear skid plate as well as a dedicated sticker on the bonnet.
To the interior, the Upland features extensive use of recycled materials, which characterise the headliner, the floor mats with a new, dedicated design and the exclusive SEAQUAL® seats made of recycled plastic removed from the ocean, and sporting distinctive contrast stitching with Jeep logo on the front backrests.
Adaptations to the instrument panel enable drivers to monitor all the hybrid system parameters and grant complete control over the driving experience.
The system includes either a 8.4-inch or 10.1-inch (for Compass only) Uconnect NAV system with touchscreen, as well as comprehensive on-board and remote connectivity with Apple CarPlay and Android Auto smartphone integration.
The new Renegade and Compass hybrid models will come with connected services such as the pre-installed Uconnect™ Box providing access to Uconnect™ Services and a range of features that can be accessed via various touchpoints such as the My Uconnect mobile app, a smartwatch, the website, buttons on the vehicle’s ceiling lights, and voice assistants (Amazon Alexa and Google Assistant).
Using the My Uconnect app, customers can access an array of connected services for quick and easy management of the vehicle’s status and maintenance, for remote control of location, to lock and unlock the doors, to turn the lights on and to receive support as needed.
Uconnect™ Services include:
- My Assistant: to request geo-localised assistance in an emergency or if needed;
- My Remote: allows customers to control their vehicle remotely, anywhere and at any time;
- My Car: to monitor and take care of the vehicle’s status and health;
- My Navigation: allows owners to send their destination to the vehicle’s navigation system directly from the mobile app, receive real-time updates on traffic, weather and speedcams, view points of interest and update the maps over-the-air (on Compass only);
- The optional My Wi-Fi: provides an in-car hotspot that simultaneously connects up to eight electronic devices and activates the Alexa Voice Service (Compass only);
- The optional My Alert service: customers will receive alerts, support and immediate assistance in the event of theft.
Moreover, as soon as they purchase a Jeep vehicle, customers can immediately create an account by downloading the My Uconnect mobile app, and discover many technological and connected advantages, even before their new vehicle is delivered.
In terms of safety, the advanced standard equipment includes:
- Traffic Sign Recognition: Reads and interprets road signs;
- Intelligent Speed Assist: Automatically keeps the vehicle within the speed limit advertised;
- Drowsy Driver Alert: Alerts drivers when their attention falters;
- Automatic Emergency Braking with Pedestrian and Cyclist Recognition (Compass only): Slows the vehicle down to a complete stop, to avoid (or mitigate) accidents that could occur.
- New Highway Assist: For the first time in a Jeep model sold in Europe, this driver assistance system offers Level 2 (L2) autonomous driving, which uses a combination of Adaptive Cruise Control and Lane Centering to automatically adjust speed and trajectory when driving on motorways.
The new Compass e-Hybrid range consists of four trim levels – Night Eagle, Limited, Upland and S, while Renegade e-Hybrid will be available in Upland and S. All are equipped with front-wheel-drive, a new 7-speed dual-clutch automatic transmission and a 1.5-litre turbo petrol engine hybrid technology, which delivers 130hp and 240Nm of peak torque.
A wide range of customisation options are available, with a contrasting black roof option plus up to eight different exterior paint colours for the Renegade and seven for the Compass including plus the new Matter Azur, specific to the Upland. A wide range of alloy wheel designs specific to the Renegade and Compass are also available.